Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What else do I do.

Things about my trip to London:
- I have not gotten a hair cut; looking a bit shaggy. And I am not going to get one until back in Salt Lake.
- A friend loaned me a camera, which I have not used.  It just feels awkward.
- Without World of Warcraft to soak my time, I am juggling(getting better), reading(Stanislavski), and blogging.
- I made Bachelor Chile and Bachelor Spaghetti for the first time in... wow, two years or so.  Still damn tasty.  Thanks Dad.
- I realized since I've been here I am in a constant state of defensiveness.  I am not sure why I am afraid.  Its hard to let that go. Can I just say "Here I am.  Hurt me if you want, but I'm not going away,"?


I saw "Much Ado about Nothing" on Monday.  I was going to go to an African Dance class, but things change.  It stared David Tenant(sp?), some famous guy who was Doctor Who.  It was put on at the Whyndym(sp?), same place we saw "Clayborn Park".  It was a good production in all.  David Tenant as Benedict was great, he brought the language out and had superb comedic timing.  The play was set in the 1980's.  I have no idea why.  What I remember of the eighties, they were lame.  The rest of the cast was good, nothing outstanding.  Claudio was very tall, and very good looking, but rather blah to me.  He had one very cool scene.  It was right after he read the epitaph to Hero.  He was drinking and had a pistol; he saw a vision of Hero; and that was it.  It carried him into the next scene, the second wedding.  The most disappointing part was Don John.  He was a mousy little guy.  He seemed rather weak.  I wanted to compare what I had when I played him, the black hat villain in a western, but there was little to compare.  In all the production was a bit slap-stick, but with plenty of production value.

Tuesday I saw "Uncle Vanya" at an out of the way theater.  It is my fist Chekhov production.  It was wonderful to see after last semesters work on Russian Scenes.  It was a lovely production, with it's sad comedy and bitter irony.  There were great relationships and justified changes in mood, laughing and crying in the same lines.  The professor is a repulsive character to me, as is the grandmother.  How would I play a character I found repulsive?  The father in "All My Sons" is an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment