Sunday, May 15, 2011

A play about 3 sisters, and a castle. (The castle is the Tower of London, nothing to do with the play.)

"Bronte" is a play about 3 Bronte authors.  Before the play I didn't know much, I only know a little more now.  It was a moving story with a contemporary telling.  They used wonderful movement to tell the story.  They played, they PLAYED;  as children, as adults, as actors, as characters. They related to each other physically, ans is my fantasy that being that physically alive really opened them up.  They used a table to tell the story, a very stout table.  It was a warship, a library, a death bed, a writing desk, etc...  It seems to have accomplished everything for "Bronte" that all the technology was meant to do for "Silence" and failed. There were several scenes where the characters in Jane Ayre and Wuthering Heights came alive and personified aspects of the authors.  I of course tiered up several times.  It is my favorite play so far.  Once again I went solo.

The London Tower was a fun excursion.  The Anglican church service we went to was the best part.The rest of the Tower was interesting in a tourist way.  Nice displays, fun walking around with fellow students. (Yes, I was a bit social.)  We toured the Tower on threat of arrest, since we went to church and then toured without paying.  Items of note; big ravens with clipped wings, wardens in uniforms with ribbons, and Scots Brigade
soldures in full regalia, oh yea the Crown Jewels, biggest cut dimond in the world (yawn).

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you prefer plays about characters not about spectacle.

    ReplyDelete